Monday, August 12, 2013

Butter Friday

Last Friday, I made butter from scratch with the help of modern technology. One late night of random research on how to make whipped cream lead to how to make butter, which lead to what to do with the byproduct, buttermilk. Why did I do this research? It was there. I was curious. Actually, I just wanted delicious whipped cream, but this is internet research. You can’t have JUST the whipped cream recipe. Inevitably online research ends in strange places. I also know how to grow sugar cane now. But we’re getting off topic. Today, I made butter.

I made butter and it was glorious… and messy. I’m wearing a quarter pound of cream, but it was worth it. It was the best right after I made it. Maybe that’s because I spent 20 minutes standing in the kitchen with a powered hand mixer waiting for what felt like an eternity. Suddenly from the soft peaks of whipped cream to chunky butter MY FOOT. That took a solid 5 minutes after it was whipped cream for it to get remotely heavy. If you don’t notice your whipped cream is done by then, you’re doing it wrong. It only took two minutes to make whipped cream out of one cup of heavy whipping cream. TWENTY MINUTES for butter. There’s a big difference.

The butter was ready just in time for dinner, which we proceeded to drench with butter. I’d wager we used about a half a cup of butter on our potatoes, biscuits and bread. Even the chicken got buttered. It was delicious. I’d do it again. Although, I now understand why someone would invest $400 into a large mixing contraption. (Wouldn’t we all love to turn it on and walk away?) In the meantime, I highly recommend doing that once in your life. The most satisfying part (other than licking your fingers) is squishing it in between your fingers. Why? Try it. Then we’ll talk.

P.S. I got a mixer! It's 30 years old... but I got one. ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment