Thursday, February 6, 2014

Labor of Love

Last night was both one of the most exciting experiences of my life and one of the most peaceful. I count the birth of my best friend's daughter as the most incredible day of my life since my wedding day and honeymoon.

I was very apprehensive about being there at first. But once I arrived, there was no turning me away unless it was to get her dinner the second her little one was born. (It ended up being breakfast and she had it waiting before the baby was even out.) I was afraid of the whole process before. I don't really know how our bodies work down to the nitty gritty. Sex Ed was so long ago and primarily geared towards teaching you not to get pregnant at an early age or catch HIV. They succeeded in that regard. But I digress.

I was never comfortable with how the female body works. I wanted kids, but would almost prefer to adopt just to avoid the unpleasant business of popping one out down there. The idea of carrying the baby wasn't the problem. It was fear of the unknown.

After this experience, I can honestly say I feel there's nothing to be afraid of anymore. I am not intimidated by it any longer. If my best friend can do it, so can I. Thank you, Marcy, from the bottom of my heart for that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment